Wednesday, May 5, 2010

FIANL PROJECT: IRAQI MEMORIAL PROPOSAL

For my final project I decided to submit a proposal for the Iraqi Memorial project. When conceiving my idea for the Iraqi Memorial, I had one thought in mind: What is the price of an innocent human life? To me it seems that the Bush administration decided that innocent human lives are worth less than the prospect of acquiring foreign oil. For my proposal I intended to create a piece that represented this concept, and I believe that I have successfully done so. It represents our nation's dependency on foreign oil, even at the price of life. My piece, entitled "The Price of War" consists of a replication of a human heart painted with the Iraq flag to represent the innocent Iraqi civilians that have been killed during "Operation Iraqi Freedom." From this heart would drip a single drop of oil for each time an innocent civilian is killed. The oil would drip into a sculpture in the shape of hands that is painted with an American flag. The oil would collect in the hand shaped sculpture and, eventually, would overflow into a larger pool of oil resting below. I feel this memorial would be best placed in a gallery setting, such as an Iraqi Memorial Gallery, if one was to exist.






















No comments: